News from: Transition Town Reading
Reading Repair Cafe has been running for two years as a partnership between Transition Town Reading and rLab and has successfully run monthly events at central Reading venues (plus one community event in Lower Caversham and one festival in Wales!)
Now we would now like to bring Repair Cafe to different communities around Reading. Ideally this would be an accessible space that has sufficient tables (about 10) for repairers to work on. This could be a community centre, a school, church hall or other venue.
Our team of repairers would come with the skills and tools to help people carry out repairs / learn skills in
- electrics and electronics
- tool sharpening
- IT and computers
- other things at times such as bikes, jewellery and furniture
What we would ask from you is to
- cover the cost of the hall
- organise refreshments (ideally tea, coffee and cake, but could be more if you like) – you can run this as a way of making money for your own organisation or to cover hall costs
- promote the event locally (we promote through social media and the Reading-wide networks we have built up, but your strength will be in promoting to the local networks)
On the whole, we try to schedule events on the third Sunday afternoon (12:00 – 16:30) of every month. Ideally, we would like to fit you into one of these slots, but if you have a time you know would work better, don’t let that put you off getting in touch. Similarly, if you are keen for us to run a Repair Cafe at your venue but aren’t sure you can fulfil all our ‘asks’, still get in touch and we will try to work with you to make sure it can still happen.
To see pictures and find out more about Repair Cafe events, visit www.facebook.com/ReadingRepairCafe/