The national Illegal Money Lending Team (IMLT) is working to help raise awareness of the dangers of loan sharks in Reading and there are grants available up to £500 for work which furthers this cause.
The team has already secured over 300 prosecutions for illegal money lending, helping nearly 24,000 victims and ensuring the write off of £55,000,000 of illegal debt. An estimated 310,000 household are borrowing from illegal money lenders nationwide, paying interest as high as 131,000% APR.
During November 2014 the team will be working with Reading Trading Standards to deliver a Month of Action raising awareness of illegal lenders. Due to the success of the team, they have funds available to support local projects; these funds have been taken away from an illegal lender under the Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA). If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity and support the Illegal Money Lending Team, you can apply for a grant of up to £500.
Who can apply?
Local residents, charities, community and voluntary groups, schools and statutory agencies benefiting those that live in the areas covered by Reading Borough Council.
Why take part?
- The funding may help your organisation reach different client groups, encouraging more people to engage with your service
- It helps you sample new ideas with funding
- There will be free publicity and networking opportunities for your organisation
- The application form is simple to complete and doesn’t take long
- It’s something a bit different… and FUN!
What can you spend the money on?
- Funds can be spent on any worthwhile community project that meets the following criteria: Contributes to raising the awareness of the dangers of using ‘loan sharks’
- Promotes legal, affordable credit options to prevent people from using loan sharks
- Tries to prevent crime and disorder whilst promoting the stop loan sharks message
The Illegal Money Lending Team can also offer:
- FREE training for community groups, agencies and organisations
- FREE use of shark mascot costume (dependent on availability)
- FREE publicity materials
- FREE educational resource packs for anyone who teaches financial capability skills